Monday, June 6, 2016

A Drop of Night

Title: A Drop of Night
Author: Stefan Bachmann
Series: Standalone
Number of Pages: 439
Date Read: 6/5/16 
Genre: Thriller, Suspense, Fantasy, Paranormal


Synopsis (Found on Goodreads.com):


Seventeen-year-old Anouk has finally caught the break she’s been looking for—she's been selected out of hundreds of other candidates to fly to France and help with the excavation of a vast, underground palace buried a hundred feet below the suburbs of Paris. Built in the 1780's to hide an aristocratic family and a mad duke during the French Revolution, the palace has lain hidden and forgotten ever since. Anouk, along with several other gifted teenagers, will be the first to set foot in it in over two centuries.

Or so she thought.

But nothing is as it seems, and the teens soon find themselves embroiled in a game far more sinister, and dangerous, than they could possibly have imagined. An evil spanning centuries is waiting for them in the depths. . .

My Review: 

So this book was ok. 

I will say that the synopsis is misleading and I was disappointed in that. I thought this book was going to be a thriller with historical aspects in it. Instead I got a fantasy and it was reminiscent of the book Survive the Night by Danielle Vega. 

What I thought I was gonna read about were teens excavating a hidden underground palace that was just found and somehow, perhaps because of crumbling structure, they would become trapped and have to find a way out. Well the characters did get stuck the palace, not the way I thought they would and they do spend the whole book trying to get out. Ok I could deal with this. It could still be interesting because they have to find a way out of a palace that's been buried for 200 years. They obviously have to have some hardships because, again the palace is old and the structure can't be that sturdy. Well I was wrong. I did not expect the paranormal aspects, the monsters or the whole premise of immortality. While I did find the book enjoyable overall, I was disappointed at being mislead by whoever created the synopsis. 

Most of the book is told in the present in the pov of a girl named Anouk. There were some chapters or inserts between chapters, that took place in 1790's France, when the palace is being made. The pov of these inserts were from a girl named Aurelie, whose father commissioned the palace. Aurelie's chapters are about her time in the palace, the weird things going on and why the modern teens were brought to the palace. I have to say I liked Aurelie's chapters the best. 

As for the characters they were ok. The main character Anouk was a jerk. I really disliked her in the beginning but she kind of grew on me. She was rude, obnoxious and mean to everyone and she put on a tough facade. She was very smart however but she did do some pretty stupid things that I was screaming at her for. But she was quick thinking and tried to get everyone out of the palace. 

I really liked Aurelie. She was sassy and spunky. She was so not what you'd think a french 1790's aristocratic teen would be. She cares deeply for her sisters and the whole time she was in the palace all she thought about was getting to her sisters and escaping. She was willing to beat up/ fight a servant for their help. She was very smart, clever and had a quick tongue. I loved her! She was the best character of the book. I wish there was more of her in it. 

I will say that there is a lot of action and obstacles/attacks/bad guys in this book that the characters had to fight/overcome/escape. I will say that I enjoyed the descriptions of the different parts and rooms of the palace as well as the crazy traps that people set for the characters. The author really put the characters through the ringer. When they think they're in the clear, something else happens to them. 

So all in all an ok book but I was disappointed by the synopsis because the reader is not really getting what the synopsis claims.



Rating:B

No comments:

Post a Comment